Elder Spencer Mauter

Elder Spencer Mauter

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Opa,

Dang, what has Gav been eating? Because that kid looks tall in that pic you sent with you and Kimber, mom. Or it's probably just because you guys are short haha!! But thats sweet to hear Kimber is home from her mish and you guys got to be there. She's probably going to feel so weird for the first month.  Everyone I talk to who's going home this week are all like dead haha. They are so nervous to go home.  But I hear that's what the mission does to you.

Transfers are this week, so we'll find out Wednesday if I'll get transfered or not.  I'm pretty sure my comp will leave and I'll stay in this area for one or two more transfers. I hear from people that missionaries can stay here for like 6 months. But I don't think I want to stay for 2 more transfers haha!  I don't like looking at the same thing everyday, like I already know all the dogs on the street by name and plus I want to move around.  But I love the people here so I want to stay at least one more but the Prez always makes weird changes so no one really knows who will stay or leave.

This week I really didn't do much. I just went back and forth from the hospital with my comp because he was sick all week with some virus he got from a mosquito. I hear it's going around because alot of people have got it. But I won't so don't worry mom. The hospital in my area isn't that bad but its still different than the ones in America.  They are a little sketchy. And I'm glad I wasn't the one getting 30 shots.

I've noticed people are always looking at me for long periods of time here. So it's a little weird sometimes haha! Because I don't know what to do, wink or make a weird face back haha. But I won't wink cause I don't want any Brasileira's getting any ideas haha. I was with an older member last week that always helps us and his name is Heider. He's like in his 30s and with my comp in the hospital, we were talking about this because he noticed it too. So this one time I made a weird face at this woman that was starring at me. Me and him just died laughing forever.

My comp is better now so that's good but this whole week I was on divisions with other missionary's who are from a different area in Mossoro.  I like them a lot.  One of them can speak English and he's a Brasileiro. Then I was with dos santos for 3 days and then elder moffat the new American mish on Saturday. So that was really cool.  It gave me an idea of what it's going to be like when I'm a senior comp. Especially on Saturday with the new mish becuase he doesn't talk that much so I had to do all the work. But I learned a lot last week.

Last Friday our zona-(and each dupla) did a special fast for a different dupla(duo). I hope it helped the people I was fasting for because I about died fasting for 24 hours. I could barely study that day because I had a bad headache.  But it's all worth it. I wanted to see what the power of fasting can really do. I always learn the miracles of fasting when I read about it in the BoM (that I finished last week).

Last Saturday I was with elder moffat and we went around visiting my investigators that would be baptized on Sunday.  Two of them weren't home but we found one and she said she would as soon as we arrived at her door step. So that was cool and I really didn't have to say much, she's 11 yrs old. So on Sunday when me and my comp went to get her and take her to the bus that brings us to the church she had decided not to be baptized. So that was a bummer. But also with kids I don't know if you know this but as missionaries we need to get their parents to sign a paper of their approval before they are allowed to be baptized.

Also, last Saturday another kid we've been teaching choose to be baptized so I needed that paper signed by his parents too. I've never talked to his parents because we taught him on the street whenever we could find him playing soccer or other stuff. So this was my first time to do this without my comp and especially without someone that speaks fluent Portuguese haha. I knew I had to do all the talking myself. As we were walking up his street I saw a house with at least 5 people outside and I was just thinking -"Please don't let that be his house!" But of course it was his house.

I went with dos santos earlier last week to do the same thing and it didn't go so well. The girl's mom told us that her daughter doesn't know what she wants for sure. We tryed explaining the importance and about our lessons but she wouldn't listen. So I was expecting one of those experiences again, but it went well I think.

I talked about our church with them and the importance of baptism and why we needed to have the paper signed. There was a kid there who was around 22 and he told me that he was baptized in our church but doesn't go. So I invited him to come to church. He had a broken foot from riding a motorcycle. I talked to him about motorcycles and riding quads and stuff like that, so that helped too. I know the Lord helped me right in that moment to talk to all of them and to understand them. Also in being able to relate to them by talking about riding motorcycles. I felt that helped me gain their trust so I could get the paper signed and also have a good discussion with all of them.

Portuguese is coming along well. Everyone always tells me I understand everything they are telling me and how much different it was when I first arrived haha.

Mom, I just sent all the cards I wrote to our address for the Wolffs, Wagstaffs and grandma Mauter. So just send those to them when you get them.  I'm going to have more I hope soon. A member, br Heider wrote Gavin a letter.  He is studing English but he doesn't know much. So you'll have to try really hard to understand it haha! There's a few words you'll need to google translate.  I didn't write the translation because it's funnier and I'll write a letter soon to Gavin too.

eu amp vocĂȘs
Elder Mauter

No comments:

Post a Comment